Saturday, August 30, 2008

Almost a month in Buenos Aires

So it's almost been a month since I arrived here and there is so much I want to say. So much I need to say. For the first time in my life i am completely away from my comfort zone. I've never done much traveling. In fact, my trip here was the first time that I had ever been on a plane. Needless to say, that was an experience in itself.

Since I've been here I have somewhat become living proof to the expression "Black is Beautiful." I am one of maybe 4 other black females here in my program. I don't know how it is for them, but for me walking down the street is a hassle. The men here are very straight forward and aggressive. Every one likes a compliment here and there, but everything is different. Smile and that's kind of a welcome sign. No thanks. However, apparently the men aren't the only one who likes darker skin. In a smoked fill club called "Sugar,"a woman signaled me to come over. She wanted to know where I was from. Apparently all of the people with darker skin here are from Brazil. Go figure why everyone thinks that I am Brazilian. When I told her I was from the United States she complimented me on my complexion saying "I like your color." Tha't's very nice to know. It's different though because I didn't think that everyone would be so drawn to a darker complexion.

While it has been a month, I must admit that I have only officially enjoyed Argentina's night life twice. The first night out, I tried Sushi for the first time. Then we went to a club and it just wasn't my cup of tea. The highlight of my night was when break dancers came out and performed. That definitely brought me a little closer to home since one of my brothers break dances. The second night (last night) was actually much better. I liked the atmosphere of the club. It was real laid back and chill. It has had pretty good music so I was in the zone. I walked in at like 5:30 which apparently is normal here, but after burning eyes and a chest congested with smoke, I was done.

Abrazos y Besos

Yaszy

No comments: